[Tweeters] Stanwood Birding situation

Nadine Drisseq drisseq.n at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:28:01 PST 2018

I saw the bird after Steve G had left the area yesterday Dec 5th, between 3
and 4.30pm. (I know this because I waved goodbye to Steve when he left.) I
saw both the Black Phoebe and the Vermilion Flycatcher near the house that
was shooting into the air and blowing off fire crackers,(US Army Flag in
yard). I got shots of it at the house next door with the apple tree where
the owner seemed much more agreeable. I made sure I didn't point my camera
at the house but just at the bird. The shooting seemed to be coming from
the house with the US army flag but I'm not 100% on that - can someone
confirm?
It was about 10 shots total, but pretty far from where I was. However, I
really hate bullies, and I wasn't doing anything wrong - just walking
slowly down the road with my lens under my arm and looking mostly with my
eyes, and it sounded more like he was trying to scare the birds away from
his house. I wasn't even looking in people's yards until I saw the bird fly
into the yard of the US Army flag, to the right of the house. That was
actually the first time I saw it. It was sallying from the eaves/shingles
and then flying to the next yard. The other residents I spoke to were ok
with having birders. I spoke to the man at the house at the end on the
corner with all the house sparrows in his hedge - he was very nice. The
person in the house with the apple tree waved and smiled back when I called
and thanked them for their patience. Another stopped in his car and asked
what was going on and I explained it was a rare bird and he was very nice
too. It was just this one guy spoiling it for everyone else so do be aware
of this house with the flags if you go. (I'm fairly sure it was that house)

BTW If that person is serious about disturbing wildlife perhaps he
shouldn't be shooting at/in the environs of a rare bird. I certainly will
report him if I find out the area is not ok for discharging weapons as soon
as I get the chance.

Stanwood Police non emergency line is:
*425-407-3999*

Does anyone have this man's full name so I can report him fully?
Can they confirm that it was the house with the flags that was discharging
a firearm?
I tried not look at the house where the shooting was coming from and move
away from it, so I wasn't entirely sure.
The shooting stopped after I just ignored it. It took me an hour to find
the bird and I wasn't going to give up after driving 2 hours to get there,
and also no chance of seeing another one in my lifetime probably. I left
after I got some shots of the bird but I returned to show it to another
birder at dusk.

*Nadine*

*Follow us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/BearSmartWA/
<https://www.facebook.com/BearSmartWA/>*