[Tweeters] Stanwood incident - 12/4/18

AnnMarie Wood amw.5737 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 11:44:18 PST 2018

Yesterday morning I was confronted by a VERY angry couple on 98th NW. At
the time 8-10 Birders were walking the short stretch of road in search of
the VEFL. I had already seen the bird and was just an extra pair of eyes,
and transportation, for a friend.

This road certainly fits the description of a sensitive area. There are no
shoulders or pullouts, and property on both sides of the road is private,
posted, and closely monitored. This includes the dike! There is no place
to park, or turn around, on without encroaching on private property.

Yesterday, in an attempt to avoid a garbage truck and several walkers I
made a quick turn around in the first driveway on the left. The property
owners drove in right behind the garbage truck, were incensed by my
“trespassing” and that of increasing numbers birders, and spent the next
15-20 minutes shouting accusations at me and the birders walking along 98th
NW.

My apology for using their driveway was finally accepted by Mrs. B. who
agreed the my turnaround wasn’t the main concern and asked me to put out
the word that our presence was bad for the wildlife in the area and a
problem for many of the residents on 98th NW.

Unfortunately, her husband was so angry that he retrieved a shotgun from
his car, aimed it upwards, and discharged it repeatedly, both from the
street and the dike, while yelling at everyone still on the street. The
threatening behavior was disturbing and the message clear: BIRDERS ARE NOT
WELCOME AND TRESSPASSING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Ann Marie Wood
Mountlake Terrace, WA