[Tweeters] EAS Samish trip 4 Dec 2018

B P Bell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Tue Dec 4 18:56:53 PST 2018

Hi Tweets

Today, EAS took a trip up to the Samish & Skagit Flats. The day started out
bright and early, cold (28F) and totally clear. No wind!

As we made our way up I-5 we saw AMERICAN CROW, RED-TAILED HAWK, BALD EAGLE,
DARK-EYED JUNCO, EUROPEAN STARLING, a flyover swan (all at the Smokey Point
Rest Area).. As we came down into the Skagit Valley the field south of the
Conway exit had a large group of swans, unfortunately there is not good
location from which to study them here. As we turned onto Pulver Rd., off of
Chuckanut Dr. we found RED-TAILED HAWK, BALD EAGLE (the first of probably
close to 60 for the day), COMMON RAVEN and EUROPEAN STARLING, with ROCK
PIGEON at the Conway exit.

On Ershig Rd. we saw AMERICAN CROW, EUROPEAN STARLING, AMERICAN ROBIN, and
GREAT BLUE HERON. On Worline Rd. there were EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, MOURNING
DOVE, DARK-EYED JUNCO, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, BREWER'S BLACKBIRD and a house
with at least 15 ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDs fighting over the feeders. At the house
with feeders on Bow Cemetary Rd. there were WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, DARK-EYED
JUNCO, NORTHERN FLICKER and SPOTTED TOWHEE, a flyover TRUMPETER SWAN, and
AMERICAN ROBIN, and DOWNY WOODPECKER. On Bow Hill Rd. we saw HOUSE FINCH,
MALLARD and RED-TAILED HAWK. The weather continued clear, cold and windless.

On Chuckanut Dr. there were BALD EAGLE, NORTHERN HARRIER, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK,
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, ROCK PIGEON, GREAT BLUE HERON, RED-TAILED HAWK and
AMERICAN KESTREL. Blanchard Rd. gave us BUFFLEHEAD and GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL
( a single MEW GULL) on the lagoon, and BALD EAGLE, STELLER'S JAY, SONG
SPARROW, HOUSE SPARROW and BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE. We saw EUROPEAN STARLING
on Colony Rd.

Smith Rd. in Edison had HOUSE SPARROW, SONG SPARROW, DARK-EYED JUNCO. A
Birch tree had a beautiful PEREGRINE FALCON and NORTHERN FLICKER. The slough
had many GREEN-WINGED TEAL and a RED-TAILED HAWK. We had BEWICK'S WREN and
DARK-EYED JUNCO on Ewing Rd. In Edison we saw GREEN-WINGED TEAL and
RED-TAILED HAWK.

Along Bayview Edison Rd. we saw MALLARD, AMERICAN WIGEON, BALD EAGLE
(several), KILLDEER, COMMON RAVEN, swans, RED-TAILED HAWK, DOUBLE-CRESTED
CORMORANT, HOUSE FINCH, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, NORTHERN HARRIER. On Samish
Island Rd. there were TRUMPETER SWAN, RED-TAILED HAWK, DUNLIN and
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK.

At the W-90 we saw SONG SPARROW, LINCOLN'S SPARROW, BALD EAGLE (probably
15), RED-TAILED HAWK, a group of MEW GULLS, NORTHERN HARRIER (5), EUROPEAN
STARLING, WESTERN MEADOWLARK and AMERICAN KESTREL. At the spot on Wharf Rd.
we scanned the Bay and found BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, LONG-TAILED DUCK
(8), BRANT (Many), RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, SURF SCOTER, WHITE-WINGED SCOTER,
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, RED-NECKED GREBE, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE,
DARK-EYED JUNCO, COMMON LOON, BRANDT'S CORMORANT, MERLIN, ANNA'S
HUMMINGBIRD, RING-BILLED GULL, CALIFORNIA GULL.

Back on Bayview-Edison Rd. - BALD EAGLE, RED-TAILED HAWK, GREAT BLUE HERON,
PEREGRINE FALCON. At Bayview State Park - NORTHERN PINTAIL, BUFFLEHEAD,
AMERICAN WIGEON, PIED-BILLED GREBE, and ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK.

At Valentine Ranch - there were BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, CHESTNUT-BACKED
CHICKADEE, GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, FOX SPARROW, DARK-EYED JUNCO, HOUSE
SPARROW, SPOTTED TOWHEE, DOWNY WOODPECKER, NORTHERN FLICKER, HOUSE FINCH,
ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD, AMERICAN ROBIN, COMMON RAVEN, BALD EAGLE.

Along Rawlins Rd. we saw KILLDEER, TUNDRA SWAN, TRUMPETER SWAN, GREAT BLUE
HERON, DUNLIN. On Maupin Rd. WESTERN MEADOWLARK, a decent sized flock of
SNOW GEESE.

At the Hayton Preserve we saw WILSON'S SNIPE, MALLARD, AMERICAN WIGEON,
NORTHERN PINTAIL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, a big flock of SNOW GEESE, MARSH WREN,
SONG SPARROW, GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and BALD EAGLE.

At the Game Range - RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, SPOTTED TOWHEE, HAIRY WOODPECKER,
EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, FOX SPARROW, BROWN CREEPER and
2 PEREGRINE FALCONs.

It was a great day in some always good areas, with neat friends!.

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville WA

Mail to bell asoc a t I s o me dia dot com