[Tweeters] San Juan Swamp Sparrow, Sunday 2 Dec 2018

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 3 05:21:00 PST 2018

Hi Tweets -
I spent the weekend on San Juan & Orcas Islands in San Juan County. Highlight was a Swamp Sparrow — it took a while to lure in, especially given that the location includes a lot of traffic noise — but still a good bird for the county, and yet another place they’ve shown up this winter.

Location: Roche Harbor Rd. at mp 1 — there’s a guard rail along the south edge of the road at mp 1 overlooking a big marshy field. I pulled off at the wide shoulder to the east of the guard rail, and mostly watched and played from there. Eventually the Swamp Sparrow came in for great looks. I’d definitely recommend aiming to visit when traffic is lightest.

Good birding!

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA