[Tweeters] Peregrine Falcon Harasses Trumpeter Swan

John M Allinger jmikeallinger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 04:24:51 PST 2018

Saturday, Dec 1st at noon – Trumpeter Swans on Carty Lake were vocalizing a lot. Stopped on foot access bridge at Carty Unit, Ridgefield NWR to listen and watch. The Trumpeters seemed to be leaving the Lake in small groups based on the what I was hearing and seeing. Then one swan separated from the others, so I got my binocular view on it and soon was aware that it was being closely escorted by a Peregrine Falcon. They flew around the north end Carty Lake in large circles that included going through or behind a few trees. I watched them make three circles, the lone Trumpeter Swan squawking in its deep voice the entire time, before the pursuit or escorting by the Peregrine Falcon was broken off and the swan was permitted to go on its way.
---John Allinger, Clark County, Washington
Sent from Mail for Windows 10