[Tweeters] Illness Among Crows

T. Stokes tlstokeslmp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 13:56:52 PDT 2018

A friend on Facebook posted a copy of an email he received regarding sick
crows in our area:

I would like to share an email that is being sent out to all wildlife
rehabilitators regarding sick or dead and dying crows and that they must
all be euthanized and sent in for evaluation. I have left out names and
email addresses to protect my sources. This is so sad that crows are being
faced with such a deadly disease right now here is a copy of the body of
the email:

Hello Wildlife Rehabilitators,

The WDFW has received an increased number of reports of deceased crows this
summer from the west side of the state. Three of these crows were sent to
the USGS National Wildlife Health Center (NWHC), and two to the Washington
Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (WADDL), where necropsy findings were
consistent with crow reovirus. These findings were confirmed via PCR this
week (see attached report). This is apparently a highly infectious disease.
Note that all of the crows tested to date have been negative for West Nile
Virus.

WDFW Recommendation

Euthanize all sick crows that enter your facility

NWHC Request for Carcasses

The NWHC would like more fresh carcasses from over a larger area of western
Washington to test for this virus. If possible, please collect and freeze
freshly deceased/euthanized crows for future pick up by WDFW staff. Please
inform Dr. (xxxxxxxx at dfw.wa.gov) of any fresh carcasses that you are able
to freeze. Note that we have already confirmed this disease in Auburn and
in Bothell, so don’t need any additional carcasses from these areas.
Carcasses from outside of King and Snohomish counties are being sought at
this time. This would be valuable to the WDFW and to NWHC to help us better
understand the geographical extent of this disease.

Thank you for your consideration.

T.L. Stokes

Redmond, WA