[Tweeters] Turnstone wanderings

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:15:49 PDT 2018

Hey Tweets,

The fourth time was the charm. . . except I found out the first time was actually the charm. I know, confusing, yeah? I made my fourth trip out to West Seattle to look for the Ruddy Turnstones, and was able to enjoy viewing the adult and the juvenile today with the tide pretty close in from 10:45 to 11:45 or so. The funny thing is, I saw one of those birds three days ago.

On my first run out to look for the RUTUs, I stopped at the 'regular' haunt for Black Turnstones, back at Admiralty Head on the east end of Alki. There were thirty Black Turnstones or so, about ten Surfbirds, and one turnstone that did not look like the other BLTUs. I stared at that bird for a good long while at short distance, and just couldn't sort out what it was, as it wasn't a great match for the pictures of juvenile ruddies from my book, so I gave up on it and assumed it was just an odd Black Turnstone. Today, I saw the exact same bird - the juvenile - south of the lighthouse on the West end.

If anyone misses the birds, the east end may be a good place to look, perhaps especially at lower tides.

The Lark Sparrow was also relocated a block north of previous location.

Happy birding!

Tim Brennan

Renton