[Tweeters] Osprey with deformed beak

John Riegsecker jriegsecker at pobox.com
Mon Aug 27 21:00:29 PDT 2018

All,

Monday, July 30 I photographed one of the Osprey Chicks at Chambers Bay
and discovered it had a crossed bill. I thought perhaps this was an
example of AKD and sent photos to the Alaska Science Center for Beak
Deformities in Landbirds

https://www.usgs.gov/centers/asc/science/beak-deformities-landbirds?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects

and received a reply from Lisa M Pajot who is part of the group studying
the problem. She said

"The beak deformity of the osprey looks somewhat like what we’ve seen in
other raptors with suspected AKD, however, it appears that the beak
begins its misalignment near the base of the beak at the bone, rather
near the tip, where most birds affected with AKD show a misalignment or
deformity."

They would need a tissue sample to be certain. I checked in on them
again today. The bird with the deformed beak is the larger of the two
juveniles. The smaller flew from the nest shortly after I arrived, but
the the larger one stayed in the next, even after the female brought in
a fish, and then moved to the end of the "swing set."

I have 3 photos beginning here:

https://skygardener.zenfolio.com/p60988058/hB51F0D1B#hb51f0b12

--
John Riegsecker