[Tweeters] Shillapoo Lake, Clark County

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 12:41:20 PDT 2018

Tweeters,

I ventured out to try to see shorebirds again so headed to Shilapoo Lake
which is just north of Vancouver Lake in the Vancouver Bottoms area of
Clark County. I like it when a plan comes together as there were
shorebirds to see as follows:

Greater Yellowlegs: 8
Lesser Yellowlegs: 3
Killdeer: 8
Least Sandpiper: 25+
Western Sandpiper: 20+
Semipalmated Sandpiper: 1
Baird's Sandpiper: 2
Semipalmated Plover: 5 (the most I've seen in Clark County for several
years)
Wilson's Snipe: 2
Long-billed Dowitcher: 1

Two flocks of Greater White-fronted Geese totaling over 100 birds were a
surprise since it seems quite early for them. Another surprise was a Green
Heron that descended from fairly high and circled around for about 5-7
minutes before moving on. All six species of swallows and Purple Martin
were milling around.

50 species while standing in one spot for three hours.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim
--
Jim Danzenbaker