[Tweeters] Swallow Status

Hal Michael ucd880 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 20 13:56:44 PDT 2018

As part of research into constructed wetlands I monitored nest boxes at both the wetland and in an upland situation. The boxes were used, for the longest time, almost exclusively by Tree Swallows. I stopped monitoring the wetland but kept up with the upland. Over time, the Tree Swallows declined to one or two a year (down from about 5 or 6). To some extent they were replaced by Chickadees; initially Black-capped but eventually Chestnut-backed moved in, too. Very occasionally, and none recently, were bluebirds.

We had House Sparrows in the area. One time, in about 20 years, did they destroy a swallow nest and evict the adults. One year, they used the box after the swallows fledged. This particular location had very few House Sparrow, maybe a pair or two.

There is obviously a lot going on, but at least in my upland situation much of the change was due to changes in vegetation as plants grew. At the same time, as I noted earlier, Barn Swallows vanished and the Trees did become less common.

Hal Michael
Science Outreach Director, Sustainable Fisheries Foundation
Olympia WA
360-459-4005
360-791-7702 (C)
ucd880 at comcast.net

arrow control and annual removal of old nests during the winter (Buss 1942 https://birdsna-org.access-proxy.sno-isle.org/Species-Account/bna/species/cliswa/references#REF41657 ). Nest removal also reduces buildups of ectoparasites from year to year. Fumigation of nests with the insecticide Dibrom is effective in eliminating parasites (Brown and Brown 1986 https://birdsna-org.access-proxy.sno-isle.org/Species-Account/bna/species/cliswa/references#REF41652 , Brown and Brown 1996 https://birdsna-org.access-proxy.sno-isle.org/Species-Account/bna/species/cliswa/references#REF7281 ) but has not been used specifically for management to date.