[Tweeters] 30th (from WOS' first President)

Bob Sundstrom ixoreus at scattercreek.com
Sun Aug 19 18:49:39 PDT 2018

Hi Dennis, et al.,

If I remember correctly, the first meeting to create WOS took place in a room at the Burke, with Ian Paulsen presiding. I recall it was Ian that insisted that Washington should have a state ornithological society, and he instigated that first meeting. The first board was voted in then too, from names written on the blackboard. I think we had the early board meetings at someone’s house.

Nostalgically, Bob Sundstrom

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 19, 2018, at 9:19 AM, Dennis Paulson <dennispaulson at comcast.net> wrote:

> I thank you too, Elaine (and of course Fred and all of our fellow plotters of so long ago). I’m very pleased to have been a part of this society for so long, and there’s every sign of it getting stronger and more effective—and hopefully always more fun!

> Dennis

>> On Aug 19, 2018, at 9:03 AM, Fred Bird <fredbird46 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thank you Elaine! I’d forgotten about that first newsletter. Clearly, WOS has lived up to our hopes.

>> Fred

>> Sent from my iPad

>>> On Aug 18, 2018, at 9:54 PM, Elaine Chuang <elc at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>>> Dear Mr. Bird (I just cannot address you as “Fred”), I’m privileged to be able to take this opportunity to respond to your short and sweet greeting below. In the last two years, it so happens that I’ve been part of a small group of WOS Board “peeps” who've done some ‘straightening up’ of the retained archives of the organization (in the famous "storage locker"). As a devotee of ‘the way we were’ and cherish-er of roots, founders and so on, I’ve had the special blessing and particular delight of reading there (by flashlight) an actual and original paper (!) version of the first WOS Newsletter, from November 1988.

>>> Forgive thin electrons alone . . . acknowledging you, first President of the Washington Ornithological Society!

>>> <Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 8.55.51 PM.png>

>>> Sometime in the “sweltering” summer of 1988, you and your Cabinet set this organization in motion and ‘we’ are hugely grateful. HAPPY 30th INDEED!

>>> Below is a screenshot of page 1 with your President’s Message, and here is the full link for all to enjoy. http://www.wos.org/documents/wosnws/issue1.pdf

>>> <Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 8.52.31 PM.png>

>>> Very best wishes.

>>> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

>>> Elaine L. Chuang (my shortcoming, having only these email addresses above - please feel free to forward)

>>> Begin forwarded message:

>>> From: Fred Bird <fredbird46 at gmail.com>

>>> Subject: 30th

>>> Date: August 18, 2018 at 2:13:44 PM PDT