[Tweeters] Lack of Barn Swallows

Hal Michael ucd880 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 18 18:15:48 PDT 2018

Back in 1980 we moved into a newly built house south of Olympia. From 1996-2001we had Barn Swallows nesting in our barn (if we left the door open) and right over our front door. The front door pair had at least two nests a year. Then, it stopped. They disappeared and we never saw them again.

Part of the issue, I believe, is the continued growth of vegetation. The plants reach a point where the Barn Swallows no longer use the area. It may be that foraging areas are too overgrown, etc. We saw significant changes in the avifauna at that house as the yard went from bare ground to a complex of trees and shrubs.

I don't think that we appreciate how much the habitat changes when we see it every day. I drive along I-5 here in Olympia almost every day, and have done so since 1980. Those Doug firs along the freeway have not grown one little bit in that whole time. Amazing.

Not to downgrade the lack of bugs. Here's another possibility. Quite a bit of land that was protected by levees has been restored to intertidal conditions. These formerly open areas that were upland/freshwater based are now saltwater based and produce significantly fewer insects. The insectivores have no place to go to find bugs that isn't already occupied.

Hal Michael
Science Outreach Director, Sustainable Fisheries Foundation
Olympia WA
360-459-4005
360-791-7702 (C)
ucd880 at comcast.net