[Tweeters] Swallow numbers

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 09:10:55 PDT 2018

I was actually thinking the same thing. Yesterday, at Billy Frank Jr
Nisqually NWR, I noticed there weren't a huge number of swallows like there
usually is at this time of year. Despite the cloudy morning, I saw
relatively few swallows, and they were all Barn. Thankfully, later in the
morning, I caught a flock of swallows over what remains of the freshwater
marsh (until the rain comes back), which included Barn, Tree, VG,
Rough-winged, and Bank, but still not as good of numbers as I'm used to.
The Barns are still raising young, as there was a nest with 3 youngsters at
the Puget Sound overlook.

Interestingly, despite other swallows seeming less numerous, Purple Martins
seemed to do quite well this year, at least in Pierce County. Ive seen
several flying over the Saddle Creek wetlands in Fife, and the nest boxes
on Ruston Way were pretty darn full this year. There were also some flying
around the Vashon Island ferry terminal below Point Defiance. Of course I
don't have data to back up that claim, but they did seem to be around in
larger numbers, which is nice to see!

Christopher Clark
Sumner, WA