[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 8/8/18

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 20:26:36 PDT 2018

Tweets,

Today 35 of us enjoyed a productive, if smoky, walk at Nisqually. It
was warm at the start and got hotter as the day progressed. We had a
-1.7 low tide at 9:41 so there was little to see at the reclamation
area, but the crew who walked the estuary boardwalk probably did
better on waterfowl and shorebirds.

Highlight of the day was a CASSIN'S VIREO near the Nisqually Land
Trust building. It was foraging in the trees with a WILSON'S WARBLER
and a couple of YELLOW WARBLERS.

It was a pretty good day for raptors as we had a couple of sightings
of COOPER'S HAWK, a female AMERICAN KESTRAL, BALD EAGLE, and an OSPREY
near the Nisqually overlook.

There were several small flocks of peeps flying over McAllister Creek,
but none that I could identify.

For the day I had 39 species and now have 111 for the year. Mammals
seen included COTTONTAILED RABBITS and a family of COYOTES working the
mowed field along the maintenance road. There were 3 healthy looking
pups and an adult watching over them.

Until next week when the dog days continue...

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA