[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon Grays Harbor 27 April 2018

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Mon Apr 30 14:07:57 PDT 2018

Hi Tweets

Last Friday, Seattle Audubon took a trip down to Grays Harbor. We left at
0630 under cloudy skies and a not bad 53R. On the way down I-5 we saw
EUROPEAN STARLING, AMERICAN CROW and a single RED-TAILED HAWK (somewhat
unusual - there are usually more around). As we passed thru the Tacoma area
we added another RED-TAILED HAWK, an unidentified gull (bad light and
backlit) and ROCK PIGEONs.

In the Olympia area, with the light much better we saw AMERICAN CROW, ROCK
PIGEON, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, MALLARD, AMERICAN ROBIN, and AMERICAN
GOLDFINCH (many of these at our brief stop in W. Olympia).

The first part of the drive out SR-8 was pretty dull with no birds, but the
spring foliage was beautiful and we had some breaks in the clouds. In the
Elma area we picked up MALLARDs ( a bunch in a field), ROCK PIGEON,
GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL and TURKEY VULTURE. Aberdeen was quiet except for
GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL.

As we started out SR-105 toward Westport it clouded over again, but didn't
threaten any rain. We saw EUROPEAN STARLING, AMERICAN CROW, ROCK PIGEON,
STELLER'S JAY (the only one of the day) and TURKEY VULTURE.

We arrived at Bottle Beach State Park at 9:15, well before high tide. In the
parking lot and on the walk out to the beach we saw or heard WHITE-CROWNED
SPARROW, SAVANNAH SPARROW, MARSH WREN, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, GREAT BLUE
HERON, MALLARD (two in the slough), BARN SWALLOW, SONG SPARROW, HOUSE FINCH,
TREE SWALLOW, EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, SPOTTED TOWHEE, ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (Audubon's race), AMERICAN ROBIN. At the
beach (high clouds and about a 10 mph wind - it was chilly) we had good
numbers of birds scattered along the beach but not the huge numbers of some
years. They included KILLDEER, WESTERN SANDPIPER, NORTHERN FLICKER,
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (several hundred), SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER, GREATER
YELLOWLEGS, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER (close enough to identify), DUNLIN (again
several hundred), CASPIAN TERN, HERRING GULL (just one), RING-BILLED GULL,
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (rare for this time of year, but close and definite),
LEAST SANDPIPER. On the way back out we stopped at the slough and got more
looks at LEAST SANDPIPER, BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD, CANADA GOOSE, CACKLING
GOOSE, PURPLE FINCH, CASSIN'S VIREO, COMMON MERGANSER and RED-WINGED
BLACKBIRD.

Down the road to Twin Harbors State Park and a stop for lunch. We saw
AMERICAN ROBIN, AMERICAN CROW, PURPLE FINCH, DARK-EYED JUNCO, and VARIED
THRUSH. On SR-105 thru Grayland we found AMERICAN ROBIN, EUROPEAN STARLING,
AMERICAN CROW. We anticipated a big group of gulls at North Cove, but the
tide was in and the cove was without birds.

In Tokeland we found AMERICAN CROW, DOUBLED-CRESTED CORMORANT,
EURASIAN-COLLARED DOVE, EUROPEAN STARLING, AMERICAN ROBIN, GLAUCOUS-WINGED
GULL, ROCK PIGEON, WESTERN GREBE, COMMON LOON, WESTERN GULL, 5 WILLETs,
PIGEON GUILLEMOT, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, BRANT, GREAT-BLUE HERON, a single
MARBLED-GODWIT, CANADA GOOSE.

At Graveyard Spit there were large numbers of shorebirds including: MARBLED
GODWIT, WHIMBREL, LONG-BILLED CURLEW (2), RING-BILLED GULL, SHORT-BILLED
DOWITCHER, CASPIAN TERN, WESTERN GULL, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, CALIFORNIA
GULL, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW (in the bushes as we
pulled up), DUNLIN, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER and BREWER'S BLACKBIRD and
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD.

Into Westport and the Coast Guard Station end of the marina - a couple of
COMMON LOONs, a couple of WESTERN GREBEs, lots of WESTERN GULLs, ROCK
PIGEON, up at the north end of the marina and the viewing platform, HOUSE
SPARROW, EUROPEAN STARLING, BRANDT'S CORMORANT, BRANT, PIGEON GUILLEMOT,
PACIFIC LOON, RED-NECKED GREBE, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, SURF SCOTER,
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER and PELAGIC CORMORANT.

As we passed the Brady Loop area on the way home we finally saw a BALD
EAGLE.

At various spots we also saw COMMON RAVEN.

It was a good day, with relatively decent weather, good folks, and a total
of 65 species.

Good Birding

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville Wa

mail to bell asoc a t iso me dia dot com