[Tweeters] In search of warblers - Stampede Pass and Cle Elum

amk17 at earthlink.net amk17 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 29 17:17:54 PDT 2018

I headed to Stampede Pass to see if I could find any migrating warblers. I found the usual Townsend's and yellow-rumped warblers. Other birds included a male pileated woodpecker and a red-breasted sapsucker. It was mostly quiet and cold with a bit of rain mixed in.

Decided to head east some more to Railroad Ponds/Charter Rd. As soon as I opened the windows at the first patch of cattails, a sora was calling from the marsh and a warbler was singing loudly in the brush where I pulled over. This was to be the first of 17+ Nashville warblers from this point to just beyond hatchery entrance. (I lost count after 17 but I am pretty sure I had just over 20 with no duplicate counts) Nashville's were singing everywhere, raising their reddish-brown crown feathers and chasing each other about. These warblers were textbook perfect with picture perfect poses. (of course I failed to get even one sharp photo). It was a delight to say the least for this warbler addict.

Just past the hatchery a lone male western tanager stood on the road.

Happy warbling,
AKopitov
Seattle, WA