[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 27 April 2018

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Sat Apr 28 11:53:17 PDT 2018

Friday was not as nice as earlier in the week—overcast and chilly—but no rain and once away from the lake, the breeze was tolerable. Sharon Aagard joined me for the park walkabout. Unfortunately, she arrived just after a Barn Owl came for a brief visit to the nesting box. Not too much new today, but there were some interesting events. In particular, an intently hunting River Otter was in Promontory Pond. Couldn’t see whether it was successful. And a Long-tailed Weasel entertained us for several minutes in the north end of the park. This is first weasel I have seen in the park. https://flic.kr/p/26AW1h8

Wood Duck - a couple of quick fly-by males; first of year
Mallard - first set of babies
Other water birds were scarce - 1 Ring-necked Duck, 2 Green-winged Teal, 2 Western Grebe
Common Merganser - a single flock of 21, mostly male, fly-over
Cooper’s Hawk - an immature bird was hunting the meadows; the adult female appears to be sitting on eggs, while the adult male was preening nearby when we were on the point, though earlier, we saw the male with prey at the Entrance Pond—can’t quite make out what it is. Body and head seem like Opossum, but the legs are perplexing. https://flic.kr/p/JuRuuG
Band-tailed Pigeon - 2 flocks, total of maybe a dozen birds
Anna’s Hummingbird - at least one nest still with young
Yellow-rumped Warbler - literally hundreds. Several groups of 20-30 warblers were flying among the trees at every location we visited in the park. Our reported total of about 150 birds is surely an undercount, there were just too many to be sure. Unlike in past weeks where the visible birds were predominantly male, most of what we saw on Friday were females, and about a 10:1 ratio of Audubon’s to Myrtle.
Other warblers - many Common Yellowthroat and Orange-crowned; a couple Black-throated Gray and Townsend’s (two were perched sitting still—don’t see that often!), and a first of year, heard-only Wilson’s
White-throated Sparrow - 1 with a group of other sparrows; first of year
Purple Finch - singing

For the day, 59 species. With Wood Duck, Rock Pigeon, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Wilson’s Warbler and White-throated Sparrow new, up to 97 species for the year.
Checklist: https://ebird.org/pnw/view/checklist/S44998676 <https://ebird.org/pnw/view/checklist/S44998676>
Scott Ramos
Seattle