Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Fri Apr 27 21:16:05 PDT 2018

Tweets – A great day at Marymoor this morning, with sunshine and blue skies. The real rarities seem unwilling to show up on Thursdays, but we had some good birds even so.

Highlights:
a.. Ring-necked Duck – A pair on the Rowing Club pond might be the ones Mark spotted earlier. Probably our last until fall.
b.. Virginia Rail – at least two heard predawn from boardwalk
c.. Common Loon – two calling while flying just before 6, and 1 on the lake. One on Monday was the First of 2018
d.. Great Blue Heron – babies heard doing grum-grum-grum calls, also heard last week
e.. Turkey Vulture – one off to the west
f.. Osprey – four, I believe
g.. Barn Owl – Matt saw one at the windmill ridiculously early
h.. Western Screech-Owl – Mason heard one pre-dawn
i.. Great Horned Owl – Michael had one at the model airplane field pre-dawn
j.. - All 5 common woodpeckers
k.. WARBLING VIREO – Several. First of 2018 and 2nd earliest date ever, beaten only by a 23-Apr-15 sighting
l.. American Pipit – about 20 in grass/gravel lot near Climbing Rock
m.. American Goldfinch – finally seeing/hearing several birds
n.. Western Meadowlark – two north of fields 7-8-9
o.. Orange-crowned Warbler – finally seen/heard in large numbers
p.. NASHVILLE WARBLER – just as we were about to leave the Rowing Club – First of 2018
q.. WILSON’S WARBLER – two heard singing. First of 2018, and earliest record ever by a day (though 7 years we’ve had them one day later!)
r.. WESTERN TANAGER – two males at Rowing Club. First of 2018, and earliest sighting ever by 4 days!
After the main walk, a late lake view turned up three additional species for the count:
a.. Common Goldeneye – one or maybe two females. We’ve had only 2 sightings later in spring.
b.. Pied-billed Grebe – one
c.. Cliff Swallow – at least 2
We also had a nice look at a RIVER OTTER from the 2nd Dog Swim Beach.

This week had a lot of birders and photographers out, and we/they found many additional birds, some of which were reported on Tweeters and/or Facebook:
a.. Hooded Merganser on Monday
b.. WESTERN KINGBIRD – 1 on Wednesday, photographed by Kazuto Shibata
c.. LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE – 1 on Monday, photographed by Kazuto, and 1 Wednesday as well, also seen by him! That makes 3 or 4 LOSH for 2018, with only 5 sightings ever noted before.
d.. Ruby-crowned Kinglet – 1 on Monday may be last until fall
e.. MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD – 2 on Sunday (technically last week), photographed by Kazuto
f.. Hermit Thrush – 1 on Tuesday
g.. Lincoln’s Sparrow – 1 on Monday
So that’s 69 species today, plus at least 6 more earlier in the week (75 for Week 17 so far). Our year list is up to 115 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com