[Tweeters] Super Day in Eastern Washington

B B birder4184 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 21:04:27 PDT 2018

In beautiful weather with no wind, Ann Marie Wood, Steve Pink and I had a wonderful long trip to Kittitas, Grant and Adams Counties today.
We started with 20 plus Rufous Hummingbirds at the Hyak feeders.  Our next stop was at Bullfrog Pond where highlights were Red Naped Sapsucker, Western Bluebird, Chipping Sparrow, Mountain Chickadee and a probable Warbling Vireo.  At the Railroad Ponds in South Cle Elum, we had numerous Pygmy Nuthatches and an FOY Nashville Warbler.
On our way to the County Line ponds on Highway 26, we had several Western Kingbirds.  At the Ponds we had Black Necked Stilts and American Avocets plus some Least Sandpipers and 5 duck species.  After more Western Kingbirds, we made it to Para Ponds starting with 200 Cliff Swallows at nests.  Four species of Blackbirds including great looks at a dozen plus Tricolored Blackbirds and 20 plus Yellow Headed Blackbirds.  Lots of Ruddy Ducks, 4 Cinnamon Teal and 2 Redheads, plus White Pelicans and Great Egrets. Also 2 Virginia Rails, and more Black Necked Stilts and Avocets.
On Lemaster Road we had some Horned Larks and quickly found a Burrowing Owl at its burrow surprisingly close to the road.  We headed back west via Lower Crab Creek.  Notable observations included numerous Loggerhead Shrikes, dozens of White Crowned Sparrows, Swainson's Hawks, two Gray Partridge and a Chukar plus California Quail.
At Frenchman's Coulee, we found 10 plus White Throated Swifts, a Rock Wren and many Cliff and Violet Green Swallows.  Then following a lead from Deb Essman we found a Cinnamon Teal and especially 3 Least Sandpipers - a Code 4 in Kittitas County - at a tiny pool of water at Old Highway 10 and Highway 97 - and a new County bird for all of us.
We continued west along Highway 10 and found a small pond with Wood Ducks, a Sora and possibly either Nashville or MacGillivray Warblers (too distant to tell).  Finally saw the Dippers at the Teanaway Bridge and ended our day.
All told we had about ninety species and had a great time finding all our main targets except Long Billed Curlew but compensating with some surprises.  Migration is definitely starting.  Enjoy!!
Blair Bernson

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android