birdmarymoor at gmail.com birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:03:20 PDT 2018

Tweets – We had about 5 hours without rain, from around 5:30-10:30 a.m., and we managed to fit most of a complete Marymoor visit within that period. Matt got rained on when he first got to the park hours before dawn, and we got chased out by rain by 11:00 a.m. It was not terribly birdy, being dark and a bit breezy, and the winter birds are thinning out. But this time of year, even a not-terribly-birdy day has a lot to see, and there are plenty of species that might be found. We found some.

Highlights:
a.. Cackling Goose – a few distant flocks at sunrise to show they haven’t all moved on
b.. Wood Duck – had a flock of about 10, which is pretty high for Marymoor
c.. Band-tailed Pigeon – first time we’ve had them on a survey this year
d.. Eurasian Collared-Dove – 1 at the south edge of the East Meadow. First for 2018
e.. Anna’s Hummingbird – two nests, one with at least 1 baby
f.. TURKEY VULTURE – one yesterday, a distant one today – First of 2018
g.. Osprey – pair at nest, so both are back now
h.. Western Screech-Owl – Matt and I had brief views pre-dawn
i.. Merlin – Sharon saw one
j.. SAY’S PHOEBE – two in East Meadow, one in Pea Patch both yesterday and today
k.. Barn Swallow – one yesterday, at least 3 today – First of 2018
l.. Hermit Thrush – one near start of boardwalk, maybe one more
m.. AMERICAN PIPIT – five on grass soccer fields, gravel parking lot – First of 2018
n.. BREWER’S SPARROW – one in East Meadow. This is the 6 or 7th sighting ever for Marymoor. First of 2018
It was a great day for mammal sightings as well:
a.. Eastern Gray Squirrel – of course
b.. American Beaver – three seen swimming to the lodge, their broad heads like wedges on the surface
c.. Muskrat – one in the slough
d.. Eastern Cottontail – pretty much of course
e.. MINK – one working the far shore from the Lake Platform gave us long looks. First confirmed sighting since June, 2015
So not a bad day... 68 species, and adding Eurasian Collared-Dove, Turkey Vulture, Barn Swallow, American Pipit, and Brewer’s Sparrow, we’re up to 108 species for 2018.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com