[Tweeters] FOY Common Yellowthroat, Northern Rough-Winged Swallow plus Ruffed Grouse discussion

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 19:21:43 PDT 2018

Hello Tweets,
Migration really feels like its dragging its heels this spring, likely due
to our cold weather, but today things finally seemed to be moving.

At Bob Heirman Wildlife Park, just down the street from my house, I found
my first Common Yellowthroat of the year. He was calling occasionally, but
apparently not quite ready to sing. Yellow-Rumped Warblers however were
singing away.

Alas, I found no sign of my target species, Ruffed Grouse, which has been
reported there a couple of times on eBird without notes. In fact all the SW
Snohomish County eBird records for this species include no notes and some
seem questionable based on the habitat. If anyone has any reports with this
species west of the Snohomish/Snoqualmie valley and south of Everett in the
last decade I'd love to hear about it.

At home I had my FOY Northern Rough-Winged Swallow mixed in with a group of
mostly Violet-Green Swallows. Other highlights included a Lincolns Sparrow
(only my second ever at the house, both in April), a couple Greater
Yellowlegs, and a flock of Evening Grosbeaks that have been hanging out in
the neighborhood for the last few weeks.

Josh Adams
Cathcart, WA