[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - Late March 2018

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 10:03:11 PDT 2018

Hi Tweeters,

I last reported on March 12th. This report covers the remainder of March. We are now at 106 species for the year, having added American Coot (code 2) at the Edmonds marsh and Rufous Hummingbird (code 2) at a private residence on March 13th, a Say’s Phoebe (code 4) along the waterfront at Water Street on March 26th, and a Savannah Sparrow (code 2) also along the waterfront at Water Street on March 30th. Says’ Phoebe has been a code 5 species but will move to code 4 on our next checklist revision.

Following up on the thread about early Ospreys, I had a probable Osprey pass over my house on March 26th. It was after 5 p.m. and the bird kept moving away rather than circling. The photos I took show an Osprey profile with long narrow wings with pointed tips. I was unable to lighten a photo enough to show a plumage pattern so I just have the bird’s profile. I entered it in an eBird checklist under Hawk sp., including the photo and my comments about a probable Osprey. I had just enough doubt that I did not want to enter it as a rare bird on the checklist. Assuming it was an Osprey, it would have been my earliest Snohomish County sighting by several days. Usually the first Snohomish County sighting comes from the Everett nesting colony at the mouth of the Snohomish River, although this year the first report was March 31st at the Snohomish water treatment plant.

Along the waterfront, cormorant numbers have declined as birds have started heading for their outer coast breeding sites. There are about 200 Brants feeding on eel grass along the shore break as they prepare to head for their arctic breeding grounds. There are still Western Grebes in the offshore waters, best detected by scope. Numbers can vary from 20 - 200 birds (estimated). My last sighting of Pacific Loons was March 23rd and there are no later sightings in eBird so I assume they, too, have headed for their arctic and sub-arctic breeding grounds. Ducks still being seen along the waterfront include American Wigeon, Gadwall, Surf Scoter, Black Scoter, Harlequin Duck, Bufflehead, Barrow’s Goldeneye, Common Goldeneye, Common Merganser, and Red-breasted Merganser.

Violet-green Swallows, along with a few Tree Swallows, have been continuing around the marsh. Migrating shorebirds should start arriving in the marsh any time after the middle of April.

To recap, we have added three species to the Edmonds checklist: Swallow-tailed Gull, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, and Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch. We have documented 273 species within the city. If you would like a copy of the revised 2018 checklist, in Adobe Acrobat format, please send your request to checklistedmonds at gmail.com <mailto:checklistedmonds at gmail.com>. We also maintain a list of birds seen throughout the year in the bird information display box on the outer wall of the Olympic Beach Visitor Station, at the base of the public pier.

If you see a good bird in Edmonds that you think we might not have on our year list, please let me know.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records