[Tweeters] Swallows in the rain

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 15:26:56 PDT 2018

Hello tweets,
As I looked out my window a few minutes ago, I noticed about a dozen
swallows skimming right above the surface of the Snohomish river in the
rain. I've noticed Swallows tendency to do this in the rain before,
especially in early spring, presumably before they've spread out to
breeding territories. I've always assumed that the weather results in a
higher concentration of food close to the surface of the water, but I can't
come up with a reason why that would be. Does anyone have any insight on
why swallows feed directly above water during rainy weather?

Josh Adams
Cathcart, WA