[Tweeters] Anna's Hummingbird male adult/juvenile distinction

Kevin Lucas vikingcove at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 08:14:33 PDT 2017

One of the Anna's Hummingbird males visiting our feeders has what looks
like a complete helmet and gorget, except missing the large iridescent
feather on each side at the outermost corners of the gorget. It doesn't
have the full Yosemite Sam look as another male here does. Is the missing
feathers bird certainly a juvenile? I've not yet gotten a good look at or
captured photos of his tail feathers to see whether some have the white
tips of a juvenile.

Thanks for any tips.

Good Birding,
Kevin Lucas