[Tweeters] Samish Flats golden plovers

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 22 19:20:19 PDT 2017

Dear Tweeters,
Today, 22 October 2017, there was a nice little flock of plovers by the Samish West Ninety. Fifteen Killdeer flew in, accompanied by what I thought were three Black-bellied Plovers. It turned out to be one Pacific and two American Golden Plovers! It was a pleasant recompense to see both species of our golden plovers, after all the times I had missed them this year, including yesterday, when I'd spent over an hour standing in the pouring rain and near-gale at Hayton Reserve, to no avail.
Later I ran into Isaiah Nugent, who told me he had seen six American Golden Plovers in the same field, apparently just after I had left there--although no Pacifics revealed themselves to him.
The spot to check is the muddy earth kitty-corner from the West Ninety parking area. It can be hard to see these birds in this ploughed field, especially when they walk between the furrows.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch