[Tweeters] Book Recommendation

Jane Hadley hadleyj1725 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 14:22:09 PDT 2017

I realize I'm a little late to the party, but I did want to recommend
two books, one of which is one my favorite all-time books. It is not new
by any means but definitely worth reading. This is Beak of the Finch by
Jonathan Weiner. It's particularly compelling for anyone who has visited
or plans to visit the Galapagos Islands, but certainly not restricted to
that group. Here's a capsule description:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/125286.The_Beak_of_the_Finch

Another book, which I haven't yet read, was recently discussed in a New
York Times review and sounds well worth reading. The book is called The
Evolution of Beauty. How Darwin's Forgotten Theory of Mate Choice Shapes
the Animal World -- and Us. Author is Richard O. Prum.

Here is the New York Times' wonderful discussion of this book and the
evolutionary debate over the role of sexual selection:
https://goo.gl/KgRtjQ It starts about half way down the article.

Jane Hadley

Seattle, WA