[Tweeters] Ino vs. Leucistic birds

Sammy Catiis Hikersammy at msn.com
Sat Oct 21 11:55:49 PDT 2017

http://kmbreeding.weebly.com/understanding-mutations.html

<http://kmbreeding.weebly.com/understanding-mutations.html>This link will explain it better than I can. Or I would have to take just as long..

So, it's kinda funny.. but a lot of the terms are umbrella terms to begin with.. such as Pied or Piebald.. which really means little spots of no color. Now even amongst Ornithologist.. the term Leucistic or Leukistic < spelled both ways.. is not always welcomed. In fact when I was taking my ornithology classes.. it was not the 'going' term at all. So.. here is a breakdown of why.. and where the controversy begins.

Albino.. used to mean.. and lack of melanin ""

albino (plural albinos<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/albinos#English> or albinoes<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/albinoes#English>)

1. (countable<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary#countable>) A person or animal congenitally<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/congenital> lacking melanin<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/melanin> pigmentation<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pigment> in the skin, eyes, and hair or feathers (or more rarely only in the eyes); one born with albinism<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/albinism>.

But as we know.. all color in birds is not Melanin.. therefore.. an albino Stellers Jay would have a white head and still a blue body.. this was an accepted by Ornithologist in the wider sense..

Now the coin has flipped.. and more people and Ornithologist.. and Scientists in all biology.. have adopted more often than not.. as Albino meaning "lack of any color" BUT they also threw in the lack of some color.. such as muted ashy birds.. not just pure white. I was called out to ID an blackbird.. I ID'd it as a Brewers Blackbird.. Leucistic.. Cornell said Albino but then later changed it to match my ID as I pointed out the "yellow" eye ring. That was the only color.. red eyes to boot.

So.. it's kinda a mix still out there. THe Ino's is described above in the link way better though..

Hope that helped clear it up a little?

Sammy