[Tweeters] Bird Activity After the Rain?

Rick Tyler rhtyler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 14:04:52 PDT 2017

It's what got me started birding. Right after a long, heavy rainfall, my
front yard exploded with all these birds I'd never noticed before. A month
later I had several feeders, two new pairs of binoculars, and a little book
called "The Birds of Puget Sound." It's only gotten worse since then.

Rick Tyler

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Jeremy Schwartz <jschwartz1124 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Tweeters!

> Has anyone else noticed surges in bird activity in the inter-periods

> between rain showers?

> I first noticed it weeks ago at my backyard feeders. Not five minutes

> after a rainstorm let up and the sun came through, our feeders exploded

> into life. Two-thirds of the 13 species on our backyard list came out of

> the trees to feed. All at once.

> BC and CB Chickadees, Dark-eyed Juncos and Red-breasted Nuthatches

> jockeyed for position on the feeders themselves, while Spotted Towhees and

> American Robins patrolled the ground for dropped seeds. Two Anna's

> Hummingbirds even came to the party, too.

> I've noticed it once or twice out in the field, while birding in the

> wetlands near my office park in Bothell. The trees just seemed busier after

> rainfall stops.

> Just curious.

> Keep watching the skies!

> Jeremy Schwartz