Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Fri Oct 20 12:15:18 PDT 2017

Tweets – Yesterday was dark and wet and a little bit breezy and quiet. The weather was not good, though not horrible. The birds were pretty quiet, though we did manage to see a few things. We seem to be past the last remnants of thru-migration, and our winter birds are slowly showing up.

Highlights:
a.. Bufflehead – First of Fall (FOF), 2 females
b.. RUDDY DUCK – one female at lake – FOF
c.. Green Heron – two sightings, beaver lodge at Dog Central, and Rowing Club pond
d.. Sharp-shinned Hawk – at least 1
e.. Cooper’s Hawk – at least 1
f.. Barn Owl – two flying the meadows, 6:50-7:18 a.m.
g.. Merlin – third week in a row
h.. Varied Thrush – at least a couple
i.. Western Meadowlark – around 5, grass & gravel lot SE of Climbing Rock
We also saw two deer, and what might have been a MINK.

Gulls were playing hard-to-get; we still haven’t had a good flock sit down on the grass fields. Also, no big flocks of geese yet; we had about 23 CANADAs yesterday, and I had about that number of CACKLING GEESE on Wednesday.

For the day, 52+ species (the plus standing for the gulls we couldn’t positively ID).

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com