[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 10-19-2017

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Thu Oct 19 19:26:08 PDT 2017

Tweeters,

Per the weather forecast, the eight of us were expecting quite a bit of rain during our walk, but were pleasantly surprised to be in light rainfall, and that only at times. (It started raining harder about an hour after our walk.) Fortunately, the golf course didn't get too battered from yesterday's windstorm, and the walk route had only a few pruned branches down. The birds were quiet, though, and it wasn't until about two-thirds through the route that we ran across a fairly sizeable mixed-species flock. Two other pleasant surprises: a first-of-season RING-NECKED DUCK (fem) on the Maintenance Pond, and a GREAT BLUE HERON lifting off from the 12th hole pond. The latter species isn't seen too often on our walks. The six BROWN CREEPERS were high for the year. Difficult to fathom was the lack of Spotted Towhees either being seen or heard.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

• November 16

• December 21

• January 18, '18

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBird list:

23 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck 1 At Hodge Lake - looked like a male still in eclipse plumage.

Ring-necked Duck 1 At the Maintenance Pond.

Pied-billed Grebe 1 At Hodge Lake

Great Blue Heron 1 At the 12th hole pond.

Downy Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker 4

Steller's Jay 3

California Scrub-Jay 1 Silent; at the top of a tree along the road behind Hodge Lake where we've seen them quite often this year.

American/Northwestern Crow 6

Black-capped Chickadee 16

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 22

Bushtit 12