[Tweeters] Barred owl behavior

whitney.n.k at gmail.com whitney.n.k at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 12:47:00 PDT 2017

Hi, Tweeters! Yesterday morning, Andy Jacobson and I were at Discovery Park and had the great fortune of encountering a Barred Owl. After about 5 minutes of us watching it, the owl began to open its mouth and bend its head backwards. Repeatedly. Andy caught this on video with his iPhone and scope (quick thinking!) which is here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2rPGrhUdEck

Does anyone know what this owl is doing? We kind of expected a pellet to come up, but we never saw one. Is it a food-in-crop manipulation to help with digestion? Or...?

Thanks for your ideas,
Whitney Neufeld-Kaiser
Seattle