Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Nov 30 14:24:03 PST 2017

Tweets – it was decidedly wet today, with steady rain from before sunrise through the end of the main loop for us. Dark and wet, but not TOO cold, and not windy. Not birdy either. About half the group called it a day after the main loop, at which point the rain eased up and we picked up several more species. A few birds of interest, but not many good views.

Highlights:
a.. Cackling Goose – flock of ~800 on fields 7-8-9; 2+ subspecies, but no other geese mixed in
b.. Green-winged Teal – one male in slough below weir, first since August
c.. Common Goldeneye – 2 males, first confirmed for Fall
d.. Northern Harrier – one in East Meadow
e.. Sharp-shinned Hawk – one at Rowing Club
f.. Northern Saw-whet Owl – Matt heard one south of the East Meadow early
g.. Pileated Woodpecker – one at Rowing Club
h.. Merlin – One west of Rowing Club parking lot
i.. Four HOUSE FINCHES were our only finches.
Misses included Gadwall, Ring-necked Duck, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, Rock Pigeon, Downy Woodpecker, Pine Siskin, American Goldfinch, Lincoln’s Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, and Red-winged Blackbird, all of which we’ve had this week of the year in at least 12 of the last 23 years. Anna’s Hummingbirds didn’t show up at Marymoor until 2004, but we’ve had them 7 of the previous 13 years, also missing them today.

Yesterday, I had a RED CROSSBILL near the mansion, first for the year at Marymoor.

For the day, 45 species. My hands are still cold.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com