[Tweeters] Targeting county birding another way

washingtonbirder.Ken Knittle washingtonbirder at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 27 14:18:06 PST 2017

The other night I was thinking what birds were seen in 38 out of the 39 counties and what counties were missing. By adding some strategy and knowing what birds to be looking for by county and season that would put them over the fence and on the list to have been seen in all 39 counties. Below is a list of a species seen in 38 counties:

Adams -- Glaucous Gull, Barred Owl

Benton-- N. Pygmy-Owl

Columbia-- White-winged Scoter

Cowlitz-- White-winged Crossbill

Ferry-- Clark's Grebe, Barn Owl

Garfield--Harlequin Duck, Pacific Loon, Long-billed Curlew, Pectoral Sandpiper, and Wilson's Phalarope

Jefferson-- Vesper Sparrow

Kittitas-- Semipalmated Sandpiper

Lewis-- Long-tailed Duck, Black-crowned Night-Heron

Mason--Blue Jay

Pend Oreille-- Glaucous-winged Gull

San Juan-- Harris's Sparrow

Skamania-- Baird's Sandpiper

Wahkiakum-- Swainson's Hawk, Rock Wren, Pine Grosbeak

2 species went over the mark in 2017 so now have been seen in all 39 counties: Sandhill Crane in Garfield Co. and Say's Phoebe in Island County. Wonder if being a finch year might just help a birder dig one of them out.

Let me know if you find the lucky bird(s),

Ken Knittle
Vancouver WA 98665

<mailto:washingtonbirder at hotmail.com>mailto:washingtonbirder at hotmail.com
Washington Birder online