[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 11/22/17

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 13:17:43 PST 2017

Tweets,

Today 32 of us enjoyed a great day at Nisqually. It was in the 60s and
there was very little drizzle...and the birds cooperated.

We got off to a great start at the visitor center where there was a
BEAVER on the pond and a MERLIN in the tall doug fir tree across the
pond. We found a nice mixed flock of passerines in the orchard and
also along the boardwalk to the twin barns.

This second mixed flock was busy scolding something that turned out to
be a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL, that was hunkered down in a blackberry
thicket. we all got good looks and several folks got great photos.

Out on the estuary dike we spotted a juvenile NORTHERN SHRIKE, and
watched an female AMERICAN KESTREL grab some prey and land on one of
the snags and enjoy breakfast. Just then I got a yell from Shep, who
was behind us that there was a SHORT-EARED OWL on another snag.

Water fowl were scattered throughout the refuge as all the ponds are
full and the tide was in.

I had to leave early to prepare for tomorrow's festivities so I am
sure Shep will have much to add to this report on ebird.

For the day I had 38 species and now have 136 for the year. Mammals
seen were AMERICAN BEAVER and GRAY SQUIRREL.

Until next week, Happy Thanksgiving!

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA