[Tweeters] What is the best ultrazoom point-and-shoot these days?

Jane Hadley hadleyj1725 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 16:22:21 PST 2017

Hello Tweetsters -  I have a Canon PowerShot SX-40 camera and have been
wondering if a newer camera might provide a noticeable improvement.

In many ways, I've been happy with the SX-40. The pros are that it is
light, it zooms out to about the equivalent of 800mm, and provides good
quality shots in good light. The cons are that it has so many buttons
and options that it is easy to unintentionally hit some button and find
yourself in a bizarre place that you don't know how to escape from and,
more seriously, that the camera (like so many ultrazooms) does not
perform well in low light.

What do you think is the best ultrazoom these days? I would like it to
be reasonably light, to have good performance in low light, have great
zoom reach so I can get those far-away birds, and have a good user
interface. Would also like it to have rechargable lithium batteries. My
No. 1 priority is good performance in low light. Also want the
auto-focus to work well.

The consumer website Wirecutter opines that the Nikon Coolpix B700 is
today's best ultrazoom.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-superzoom-camera/

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks,