[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 11/15/147

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 14:32:27 PST 2017

Tweets,

Today 15 of us enjoyed a rewarding day at Nisqually. It started out
rainy but soon stopped, giving the passerines a chance to get active
before another squall passed through. After that the weather cleared
and remained that way for the rest of the morning.

Highlights of the day included TRUMPETER SWANS, a SHORT-EARED OWL, and
a EURASIAN WIGEON. Needless to say, there is lots of water on the
refuge and waterfowl are scattered out through the refuge. Lots of
MALLARDS, SHOVELERS, PINTAIL, and WIGEON about.

Our first highlight, the 5 TRUMPETER SWANS were seen flying up
McAllister Creek from the twin barns trail. They circled and flew over
the wetlands south of the twin barns as if preparing to land but
continued on south, flying over I-5 until out of sight. The lone
EURASIAN WIGEON we say was out on Shannon Slough seen from the start
of the estuary boardwalk.

The SHORT-EARED OWL put on quite a show flying over the marsh near the
start of the estuary boardwalk. it landed in a small tree and sat
there for several minutes affording great looks for everyone. It
headed south hunting when it was jumped by a NORTHERN HARRIER which
promptly chased it back where it came from. Last seen it was flying
east with 2 HARRIERS harassing it.

For the day I had 47 species and now have 135 for the year. Shep will
have a further report after he walks the estuary boardwalk.

Mammals seen included GRAY SQUIRREL and VOLE (in the orchard).

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA