[Tweeters] re crow playing

Devorah the Ornithologist birdologist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 04:53:20 PDT 2017

there is research to show that play has a useful function in birds (and
maybe in humans, too?): parrots (kea? goffin's cockatoos?) allowed to
"play" with a particular tool were later able to solve a puzzle box using
that tool, even though they'd never seen the puzzle box before.

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 1:59 AM, Paul Bannick <paul.bannick at gmail.com> wrote:

> i was surprised and enchanted by watching two different groups of Northern

> Hawk Owls play on four separate occasions, photos and story to be

> published.....

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 5:55 PM, <kristinstewart01 at comcast.net> wrote:

>> And Ravens also, along with many other species of critters! I agree with

>> Lonnie and Margaret!

>> Kristin Stewart

>> Olympia

>> Sent from my iPad

>> On Oct 31, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Lonnie Somer <mombiwheeler at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Well, shouting down from the great heights of egotism, I have to say that

>> I actually agree with you. I've been around non-human animals all of my

>> life, and I've never doubted that many animals play for the shear enjoyment

>> of it, including crows.

>> Lonnie Somer

>> Seattle

>> mombiwheeler at gmail.com

>> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Margaret Sandelin <

>> msand47 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> Re Lonnie Somer's posting about the crow "playing", it is the height of

>>> egotism to think only humans play and to say we are anthropomorphizing if

>>> an animal or bird does something we think only we do. Over the last many

>>> decades there has been many studies to indicate that animals and birds

>>> (especially crows and raven) do thing we think only we do and seem to have

>>> some of the same "emotions". And if you get right down to it, humans

>>> "play" for many useful and practical reason.

>>> Margaret Sandelin

>>> Seattle

GrrlScientist | @GrrlScientist <https://twitter.com/GrrlScientist>
grrlscientist at gmail.com
Blogs: Forbes <http://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/> | Evolution
Institute <https://evolution-institute.org/profile/grrlscientist/?source=> |
Medium <https://medium.com/@GrrlScientist>
Podcasts: BirdNote Radio <http://birdnote.org/contributor/grrlscientist>
Keep up with my writing: TinyLetter <https://tinyletter.com/grrlscientist>
Tiny bio: about.me <https://about.me/grrlscientist>
sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt. [Virgil, Aeneid]