[Tweeters] Missing the Short-eared Owls on Eide Road 12/28/2017

bwgrisim . bwgrisim at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 08:08:07 PST 2017

I took my kids to Eide Road last winter to see the Short-eared Owls. My
family was positively impressed by the spectacle. It was another priceless
moment to build on their sense of connection to our environment.

This Thursday I took them up again to reconnect but discovered a changed
landscape instead. I'll admit it was slightly jarring to stand before a
bulldozed field with brush piles and not an owl in sight. A google search
this morning turned up an explanation, the Leque Island restoration
project, which is suitably chronicled in the Stanwood Camano News.

Of course, as this habitat is managed to its "natural" state, a new set of
species will benefit. In the meantime, I'll mourn the loss of habitat for
the owls of Eide Road.

Brent Grisim
Bothell, WA
bwgrisim at gmail dot com