[Tweeters] Twitching from the Netherlands

Roland van der Vliet rollie_nl at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 25 15:44:29 PST 2017

Hello tweeters,
After following your stories about interesting birds in Washington state, I arrived on Wednesday to visit my family in Spanaway. Yesterday, I found some time to visit Nisqually where potentially two new birds were waiting for me: Northern Shrike and perhaps even the Northern Saw-whet Owl? I searched the whole reserve for the shrike without success, in the meanwhile enjoying nature and the other birds.
On my way out, I checked the trees near the educational centre for the owl last reported early December. Without high expectations, I started searching but in the end, I four it in the last cypress I checked. A successful twitch from the Netherlands for an owl that I have tried to see several times, including during a blizzard in Detroit...
Roland from the Netherlands, enjoying a white Xmas.