[Tweeters] Nisqually State Park (Eatonville) Today

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 18:07:41 PST 2017

Hello Tweets, so a couple friends and I hiked around Nisqually State Park
this morning, one of the newest (the newest?) State park located not far
outside of Eatonville off of Hwy 7. The birds were very quiet but
regardless did have a couple interesting finds.

Near the Marshall River an unknown grouse was flushed from under cover
along the trail. All we saw was a silhouette as it flew further into the
woods, with the wings making a deep whooshing sound as it went along. Does
anyone know if this alone is a diagnostic mark for either Ruffed or Sooty
Grouse? I ask because the ebird app shows Sooty as rare this time of year,
but neither species has been recorded in Pierce in December. Anyway, on the
way back not far from the parking lot a Gray Jay called and then flew over!
A nice bird for the lowlands! I wonder if it's part of the mountain bird
incursion into lower elevations or if it could even be a member of a
population there?

As stated before, this is a new state park. So who knows what birds really
occur down there? It looks promising for sure, may be worth a stop if
you're out that way! Ebird checklist:

Christopher Clark
Sumner, WA