[Tweeters] Townsend's Solitaire - Camano Island 12-16-17

Anthony birds at ocbirds.com
Sat Dec 16 20:16:47 PST 2017

Around 4pm, while walking on Maple Grove Road about 4 houses east of Scenic
Ave, I had noted the profile of what I had believed to be a Townsend's
Solitaire (TOSO). Before I could raise my binoculars to review the subject
at hand, the species flew off into a nearby conifer and hid between branches
in the low light of the gray afternoon. I had a strong suspicion it was a
TOSO based on behavioral flight pattern, silhouette and size. The 52mm low
light bino's were of great assistance in revealing the white eye ring while
in hiding. I played a few calls from the Audubon Bird app to attempt a
flush. The callbacks matched my hunch as did the reappearance. The TOSO
reappeared out in the open and was able to nab this image and a confirmed
sighting. Just thrilled to have seen this species here locally. Found a
few minutes after 4pm on Maple Grove Road at this approx. GPS location:
48.250693, -122.524106. Image posted at: https://flic.kr/p/22z5yci Happy
birding

Anthony Gliozzo

Camano Island, WA