[Tweeters] Canyon Park Retention Ponds

Steve Krival stevekrival at live.com
Sat Dec 16 15:10:21 PST 2017

In addition to the birds reported by Jeremy Schwartz, last week I took photographs of 2 Hooded Mergansers, 6-8 Wood Ducks, and about a dozen Green Winged Teal. The area is also flush with Spotted Towhees. At the east end of the retention ponds is a company that manufactures drones. They test the drones in a parking lot that is elevated above the retention ponds some 30-50 feet. I have seen as many as 5 Spotted Towhees, along with some smaller passerines, engaged in mobbing behavior as the "hawk-like" drones are tested in the area. Amusing, yes, but maybe not very healthy for the birds in the long run. Note: This is the first time I have ever seen 5 Spotted Towhees within 10 square yards of each other, all puffed-up and jumping around on the edge of bushes and chattery.