[Tweeters] Red Crossbills around Blaine WA

Eric Ellingson abriteway at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 8 12:03:07 PST 2017

It seems to be a good year for crossbills.

A bird I seldom get to see I've found in three different locations in the last month (Semiahmoo Spit, Point Whitehorn Marine Reserve and now five at my home in Blaine.

I was under the impression the feed mostly on Spruce cones. I've been checking some of the heavily coned Spruce nearby the past few weeks with no sightings of them. Where I have found them is in Pine, Alder, and Western Cedar foraging.

https://flic.kr/p/EanXqs

[cid:2f52cba2-94ca-4444-a9fe-9fb764ffc1c9]Red Crossbill<https://flic.kr/p/EanXqs>
Morning light. A flock of five, three male, two female feeding high in a cedar tree, briefly came down lower to pose.

[https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4556/25047689438_d6be4d7ac8_b.jpg] <https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericellingson/25047689438/>
[https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4556/25047689438_d6be4d7ac8_b.jpg]

Eric Ellingson