[Tweeters] King County Slaty-backed Gull

Andrew McCormick andy_mcc at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 5 13:10:08 PST 2017

Hello,

I apologize for not putting this on Tweeters sooner, but we've had some debate about this bird, and I was hoping for agreement from another person who saw it on Saturday. The essence of the debate is that it might be a Glaucous-winged x Western gull hybrid. However, the mantle and wings are very dark, the eye is pale yellow, the feet are pinkish red. The bill is mostly parallel with a small angle at the gonys. We could not see if there is an eye ring. The Slaty-backed is said to have a red eye ring. I still think it is a Slaty-backed Gull, but my experience with this species is limited to one observation of a flying gull identified by another person. I've read a lot about this species in the past two days. I posted photos, which I took on Sunday, on my eBird checklist and wanted to see if it would pass muster there before posting it on Tweeters. On Saturday and Sunday the bird was alone at the northern end of the seawall north of Salty's Restaurant. It moves from standing on logs to perching on a nearby building, to sitting on the water. It did not fly very much at all. It was separated from a large flock of gulls which congregate on buildings and along the boardwalk south of Salty's Restaurant. I have not returned to Redondo since Sunday. Any observations would be great.

Thanks,

Andy McCormick

Bellevue, WA