[Tweeters] ID Help

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 21:36:46 PDT 2015

I see that the pheasant question has been answered quite well! However, I don't see an answer for the dowitcher question, though I might have missed it.

The identification of this bird is a bit difficult, because it appears (at least to me) to be an adult nearing non-breeding plumage, when identification is sometimes impossible. However, the overall plainness of the bird among remaining alternate [breeding] feathers (I always think of Short-billed as being "brighter", for some reason) and especially the habitat support this as a Long-billed Dowitcher! :)

(If I made any incorrect statements, I welcome another Tweeter to correct me.)

Good birding, Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh.n.glant at gmail.com