[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 9/30/15

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:20:59 PDT 2015

Tweets,

Today 50 of us enjoyed a great day at Nisqually. It was overcast and cool
most of the morning but the birds cooperated. We had a 3.2 low tide at 1:56
Pm so we had lots of mud on a falling tide when we got to the reclamation
area.

We had several highlights including MERLIN, PECTORAL SANDPIPER,
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW.

The passerine flocks were not as abundant or as common as in the past few
weeks but we did see more YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS than in the past few
weeks. SPARROWS were the hot species today with the highlight being 2
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS at the picnic area near the twin barns. We also had
several LINCOLN'S SPARROWS and FOX SPARROWS.

The PECTORAL SANDPIPERS were on the pond across from the orchard with
several KILLDEER. The BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER were with some LONG-BILLED
DOWITCHERS out in the reclamation area.

The MERLIN flew across the refuge between the visitor center and the twin
barns. We also saw PEREGRINE FALCON and AMERICAN KESTRAL out in the
reclamation area. At one point the PEREGRINE and KESTRAL were sitting
within a couple of feet of each other before the KESTRAL decided to move to
a safer location.

We also saw a couple of WESTERN MEADOWLARKS near the estuary dike.

For the day I had 49 species with the MEADOWLARK, MERLIN, BLACK-BELLIED
PLOVER, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW being new for the year, giving me 139
for the year. The only mammal I saw was a HARBOR SEAL in the Nisqually
River.

Until next week when Shep and Eric will lead....

Phil Kelley
Lacey, WA
scrubjay323 at gmail.com