[Tweeters] clever hummingbirds build their nests near hawk nests for protection

Devorah the Ornithologist birdologist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 01:54:56 PDT 2015

hello everyone,

marauding Mexican jays love eating hummingbird eggs and chicks. but
according to a new study, mother hummingbirds improve the survival rate for
their nests, eggs and chicks by building their nests near an active hawk
nest.

Hummingbirds nest near hawks for protection
http://gu.com/p/4cvpk/stw

i particularly love this story because the author (whose research takes
place in neotropical locations that would make us envious), first noticed
this interesting phenomenon whilst visiting his parents in Arizona! It just
goes to show you that there are plenty of interesting discoveries that can
be made in our own backyards, if we only take the time to really SEE.

--
GrrlScientist
Devorah Bennu, PhD
birdologist at gmail.com
http://twitter.com/GrrlScientist
http://www.theguardian.com/science/grrlscientist
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/grrlscientist>
http://birdnote.org/contributor/grrlscientist
http://www.scilogs.com/maniraptora/
*sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt. *[Virgil, Aeneid]