[Tweeters] Westport Pelagic, Sept. 27, 2015

Bruce LaBar blabar at harbornet.com
Tue Sep 29 18:10:43 PDT 2015

With a beautiful sunrise, a cloudless sky and Mount Rainier visible, the Monte Carlo motored out of the harbor with 18 eager birders from various parts of our country and Canada. The seas were a little bumpy going out to the shelf, so we decided to head south towards Willapa canyon where there were some fishing vessels. This change of plans proved to be great as we encountered hundreds of birds behind the ships.
The highlights included: Buller’s and Short-tailed Shearwaters,a few Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels, South Polar Skua, Pomarine Jaeger, Cassin’s Auklet and a young Tufted Puffin.

Birds Observed

Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Pacific Loon
Common Loon
Western Grebe
Clark’s Grebe –1
Black-footed Albatross
Northern Fulmar
Pink-footed Shearwater
Buller’s Shearwater
Sooty Shearwater
Short-tailed Shearwater
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel
Brandt’s Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Pelagic Cormorant
Brown Pelican
Great Blue Heron- in harbor
Wandering Tattler-on jetty
Black Turnstone-on jetty
Marbled Godwit-in harbor
Heermann’s Gull
Mew Gull
Western Gull
California Gull
Herring Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull
South Polar Skua
Pomarine Jaeger
Common Murre
Cassin’s Auklet
Rhinoceros Auklet
Tufted Puffin

Mammals

Whale sp. (not Humpbacked)
Pacific white-sided Dolphin
Harbor Porpoise
Harbor Seal
California Sea Lion
Steller’s Sea Lion
Northern Fur Seal

Spotters for trip where Bill Shelmerdine, Jim Danzenbaker and me. Boat personal and spotters where Phil and Chris Anderson

We have two trips left for the year. One is this coming Saturday, Oct. 3 and one on Oct. 10. For information on availability and reservations, please contact www.westportseabirds.com

Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, WA