[Tweeters] bird feeder kill band tailed pigeon

L Markoff canyoneaglej at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:08:10 PDT 2015

About 15-20 years ago when I lived in Vienna, VA the same thing happened in
my yard, except that the victim was a Rock Pigeon. Luckily, I saw it
happen so ran out there and freed the bird. I too used duct tape to fill
the valley between the pole and the curve. It has worked well all these
years, no more trapped birds.

Another danger was from a hopper-style feeder I used that claimed to be
squirrel-proof. The weight of the squirrel...or heavier birds...closed off
the feeder using a spring mechanism. One day while watching the birds out
the window I saw a Cardinal get caught by its leg in the spring mechanism.
Once again it was lucky that I was watching, for I ran out and freed that
bird too. I got rid of that feeder immediately! Similar feeders are still
being sold, but perhaps they have fixed the problem and birds no longer get
caught??? These days I use mostly platform feeders. Simple is better,
imho.

Lori Markoff
Eugene, OR
canyoneagle at comcast.net