[Tweeters] eBird Report - Lake Sammamish State Park, Sep 25, 2015

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 28 13:12:13 PDT 2015

Hi Tweets,

Here's my monthly eBird report of the birds at Lake Sammamish State Park:

Sharon Aagaard and Stan Wood birded with 13 others at Eastside Audubon's monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park on September 25, 2015, from 8:00 am to 11:40 am. Skies were cloudy/misty till 9 am, then remained cloudy and dry, 54-56F, 0-3 mph. HIGHLIGHTS: 4 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE were in their own flock, foraging near the lake; 29 CACKLING GEESE flew overhead; AMERICAN WIGEON & NORTHERN SHOVELERS were with the Mallards, American Coots, and Gulls at Sunset Beach; 2 RED-NECKED GREBES, 1 WESTERN GREBE & 3 PIED-BILLED GREBES were further off shore; 1 SPOTTED SANDPIPER flew over to the mouth of Issaquah Creek soon after we arrived; several RING-BILLED GULLS & a couple CALIFORNIA GULLS were lounging with the GWGU at Sunset Beach; 1 RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER gave us a long scope view as it was preening on a vertical dead top; 1 MERLIN was in fast pursuit of a finch towards the end of our walk; 4 SWALLOW species (too fast, too high, too back lit to ID to species); 1 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET; a small flock of CEDAR WAXWINGS flew by; several pale, yellow-throated YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS were flycatching and chipping; 2 sooty FOX SPARROWS were in some remaining blackberry bushes; and a few WHITE-CROWNED & GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS were feeding near the creek. 47 species for the day, 131 for the year. Critters: Eastern Gray Squirrels, and several bunnies. The next bird walk is MONDAY, OCTOBER 19. No pre-registration, just show up depending on your mood or the weather. Since this is a state park, a Discover Pass is necessary to park ($10 daily, $30 annual). We meet in the large parking lot to the left just inside the main park entrance, now signed as the Costco Parking lot, but we meet at the far end towards the lake (not the boat launch entrance). Submitted from BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
47 species (+1 other taxa)

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S25193648

Sharon Aagaard
Bellevue WA